Emporia Area Local Food Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kansas Pastured Poultry Producers Field Trip

Go down

Kansas Pastured Poultry Producers Field Trip Empty Kansas Pastured Poultry Producers Field Trip

Post  Shep Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:26 pm

I recently attended the first informal meeting and field trip for Kansas-based pastured poultry producers sponsored by the John Bauman family farm west of Garnett, Kansas. The Bauman family has the largest pastured poultry operation in the state and have an on-farm federally inspected poultry processing plant - one of only two in the state.

Many backyard poultry enthusiasts, farmers, and wanna-be poultry raisers were on hand to tour the farm and hear from several speakers about the future of pastured poultry in Kansas. Inputs from the audience were encouraged and welcomed and much information and networking contacts made.

Shepherd's Valley was represented and I was given opportunity several times to speak to various issues including regulations, processing methods, brooder practices, organic feed sources, and predator control.

The event was well attended and laid the groundwork for future opportunities, seminars, and gatherings. The Kansas Rural Center was a co-sponsor of the event.

All in all, the day-long seminar was very well presented, and the Bauman family did an excellent job of fielding questions, inspiring new ideas, and explaining how to deal with inspectors and regulations for their facility.

This reviewer gives it a hearty "thumbs up" for what I gained there.

Shep

Back to top Go down