Emporia Area Local Food Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Tunnels in Kansas Wind & Weather

Go down

High Tunnels in Kansas Wind & Weather Empty High Tunnels in Kansas Wind & Weather

Post  Shep Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:53 am

There were concerns expressed at the high tunnels workshop about how well high tunnels can withstand Kansas wind. Our newly "skinned" 20 x 96 high tunnel erected in an east-west orientation withstood the 65 mph south wind gusts that came through earlier this week, with sustained winds in the 45+ mph for much of the day. Other than an upper window vent that I forgot to latch, the high tunnel stayed on the ground with no plastic tears and no damage (happy to say). I do know one area grower who lost a newly erected small 12 x 12 greenhouse (poly panels/aluminum frame) in those winds. Another area grower had some damage - again not a high tunnel, but a poly panel greenhouse.

The high tunnels workshop provided good basic introductory information about the benefits and potentials of high tunnel production in Kansas climates. With good area wide attendance, we should expect to see more high tunnels popping up soon! If you can't afford a large high tunnel or a pre-fab kit greenhouse, talk to me about bending some hoops for you and you can make your own greenhouse for less.

We intend to use our high tunnel primarily for season extension, i.e. raising winter greens in November and December, but also for some tomatoes and peppers during the summer.

Shep

Back to top Go down

High Tunnels in Kansas Wind & Weather Empty High Tunnel Survives Freezing Rain & Ice Buildup

Post  Shep Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:23 pm

I recall a comment from Dan Nagangast at the high tunnels workshop, saying he went out to find his high tunnels covered with ice after an ice storm, and the cumulative weight of ice load he figured at 7,000 lbs./high tunnel. Well, our high tunnel was also covered in ice after the weekend ice storm. Following instructions, I used a shop broom to knock the ice off of each of the 50 panels (from the inside), then both ends, and finally the side panels. Lengthy, tiring work, but everything went very well. The high tunnel survived in good shape. So far, the high tunnel has held up against some extreme March weather, even for Kansas.

Shep

Back to top Go down