Emporia Area Local Food Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peculiar Adaptation For Cold Frames

Go down

Peculiar Adaptation For Cold Frames Empty Peculiar Adaptation For Cold Frames

Post  Shep Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Learning to look at things from a non-traditional perspective helps a person figure out how to adapt things for use in other ways not normally considered. For example, this past week I was looking again at some old concrete feed bunks that line the south side of my corrals. Talking to another long time gardener who was standing there, he helped me see those unused bunks in a new light. Those bunks were there before we bought the place and were used for feeding cattle. They are too tall for the sheep to utilize, so they are merely used as a perimeter barrier to keep the sheep in and the coyotes out. For that purpose it works well.

But after hearing about those free windows available for cold frames, I thought what I was looking at really was a 160 ft. long cold frame that is about 30 inches wide and 8-10 inches deep. The bunks are the containers with built in drain holes. All that is needed is the right sized windows and voila - super strong, permanent raised bed cold frames situated perfectly on a southern exposure at a height that allows me to harvest at table top level. I'll let you know how it goes, but I think this idea may just be a perfect addition that still provides perimeter protection from predators and won't take up any more space, and still provides me with easily accessible winter greens.

Shep

Back to top Go down