Violets and dandelions

Go down

Violets and dandelions

Post  Charlene on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:01 am

The violet flowers and dandelion blooms are near their peak. Last week I made violet syrup, dandelion wine, dandelion fritters (batter-dipped and fried blossoms), and dandelion jelly.

Chickweed is still good; nettles are in their "dry for tea" stage. I have yet to find any morels but am still looking. I know they are out there though no one will tell me exactly where. I am also beginning to see little seedlings of lamb's quarters, but nothing big enough to pick yet.

--Charlene

Charlene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dandelion jelly

Post  Shep on Sun May 24, 2009 8:07 pm

It's been a while since I had some dandelion jelly. Mind sharing your recipe, Charlene?

Dandelion roots, when roasted and pounded, make a good coffee substitute for those who like coffee. Roast on a rock next to a campfire until very dark, pound with a rock, and make a hot brewed tea from them.

We gathered Kentucky Coffee beans on our recent foraging trip, and some of the fellows tried roasting those for their morning coffee. We discussed the different tastes of Dandelion root coffee vs Kentucky Coffee bean coffee vs Chicory coffee - all wild edible sources for coffee substitutes.

Shep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Violets and dandelions

Post  Charlene on Mon May 25, 2009 8:45 pm

The dandelion jelly didn't set up...so I suppose your recipe will vary with your pectin type. The general idea is to simmer about a quart of flowers in a quart of water for about 3 minutes, strain out the flowers (saving the yellow "tea"), add about 3 or 4 cups sugar (the recipe called for 4.5 cups sugar) to the "tea" along with the pectin and a tsp. citrus extract (I used a Tblsp. lemon juice instead). Next time I think I'll use honey and Pomona's Universal Pectin, so I can sweeten to taste and avoid the white sugar. The jelly tastes very much like honey anyhow.

Charlene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shep on Mon May 25, 2009 8:54 pm

We'll give it a go on the dandelion jelly with the honey and Pomona's Universal Pectin (works better for us). I remember it as tasting sweet like honey when it sugars. Thanks for the recipe. Ever make corn cob jelly?

Shep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mafiafran on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:30 am

The dandelion jelly didn't set up...so I suppose your recipe will vary with your pectin type. The general idea is to simmer about a quart of flowers in a quart of water for about 3 minutes, strain out the flowers (saving the yellow "tea"), add about 3 or 4 cups sugar (the recipe called for 4.5 cups sugar) to the "tea" along with the pectin and a tsp. citrus extract (I used a Tblsp. lemon juice instead). Next time I think I'll use honey and Pomona's Universal Pectin, so I can sweeten to taste and avoid the white sugar. The jelly tastes very much like honey anyhow.

mafiafran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlene on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 am

Nope, never made corncob jelly. I've heard it's good though, and if you can get some red corn cobs it's also a lovely hue. Some people also like to make broth of corn cobs to use as a soup base. I've never done that either but I know people who have.

Charlene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down