Go down

We need more lunatics!

Post  tlcfh on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:23 pm

tlcfh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: We need more lunatics!

Post  Shep on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:27 am

My wife and I spent a day at Polyface Farms in Virginia with the Salatin family a few years ago, learning about pastured poultry and other farm enterprises. Having read his comprehensive how-to books on farming and seen their videos, we were convinced to follow the same principles of natural patterns here at Shepherd's Valley. I have heard Joel speak on a number of occasions in various conferences across the Midwest. He is an engaging and fresh voice in sustainable agriculture. We look forward to seeing the documentary.

One of Joel's apprentices came to visit Shepherd's Valley recently and spent a day helping us with farm tasks. We currently have two apprentices that are planning to set up their own farm to follow nature's patterns, and we have taught many other families the same principles.

Natural patterns of farming is obviously not a new concept, but the trend to go back to these patterns to rediscover their value and benefit is somewhat of a revolutionary concept to many.

Cutting edge farming has long been considered "lunatic fringe" by the conventional, follow-the-crowd conformist mentality.

Shep

View user profile

Back to top Go down